Guidelines for 15-18 year-old trekkers
By popular demand we’ve amended the age requirements so that trekkers aged 15-18 with good bushwalking experience can form teams for any of the trek distances. Yes, we know there are a few more rules, but don’t be put off by them – we really want to see you at the Trek!
- There is a minimum age of 15 years to walk in the Trek unaccompanied and unsupervised by an adult.
- Teams must consist of 4 to 6 people.
- All participants must have prior experience of walking in the bush – shown through school activities/ endurance walks for the Duke of Edinburgh Award/ regular and consistent involvement in bushwalks with the family.
- All participants must have parent’s permission.
- All participants must write their prior experience on the application form and ask a parent or guardian to sign it.
- Each member must fill in an application form and send it to the event organisers.
- All participants must remain together AT ALL TIMES.
- Each team is required to have a spot tracker or satellite phone or mobile phone with a location app. (EPIRBS can be borrowed on the day before the event from 9am – 4pm at the NPWS Office in Blackheath or after hours from the Police Stations at Katoomba and Springwood.)
- At the beginning of the day, you must report to the Youth Co-ordinator.
- At each checkpoint, all team members are required to report to the Youth Representative who will be wearing a coloured vest.
- You must have a support team.
- Each team must carry a first aid kit.
- Bring food, snacks and water with you. Members will also receive an energy pack to supplement their food intake.
- Each participant is encouraged to raise a minimum of $100 in fundraising.
- It is also important to read through the Trekkers’ Rules which apply to all participants.
So the steps are:
- Register for the Trek here
- Complete the form which you can download below
- Get your parent/guardian to sign it and scan and email it to email@example.com